Examine the neurophysiological and neuroanatomical basis of psychopharmacologic interventions commonly applied in mental health practice.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide the student an opportunity to reflect on learning in the course related to course outcomes, program outcomes, and the NONPF PMHNP independent practice competencies.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
CO 1: Examine the neurophysiological and neuroanatomical basis of psychopharmacologic interventions commonly applied in mental health practice. (PO 1)
CO 2: Associate brain structure and function to the pathophysiology of acute and chronic mental health diagnoses commonly seen in mental health practice. (PO 1)
CO 3: Apply knowledge of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in prescribing psychopharmacotherapy. (PO 1)
CO 4: Analyze factors pertinent to making the most effective drug selection for a client with a specific diagnosis in the mental health care setting. (POs 1, 2)
CO 5: Identify the most commonly prescribed agents in the major psychopharmacologic drug classes. (POs 1, 2)
CO 6: Analyze client indicators of therapeutic, ineffective, adverse responses and side effects to psychopharmacotherapy. (PO 1)
CO 7: Identify legal and ethical issues related to pharmacological management of the psychiatric mental health patient. (PO 1, 2)
Select one program outcome below and provide at least two specific examples from the course that supported your attainment of the outcome.
Provide high quality, safe, patient-centered care grounded in holistic health principles. (holistic health & patient-centered care)
Create a caring environment for achieving quality health outcomes. (care-focused)
PMHNP NONPF Independent Practice Competencies
Select one NONPF competency below and provide at least two examples from the course that supported your attainment of the competencies.
8. Plans care to minimize the development of complications and promote function and quality of life. (CO 4)
10. Safely prescribes pharmacologic agents for patients with mental health problems and psychiatric disorders. (COs 3, 4, 6)
11. Ensures patient safety through the appropriate prescription and management of pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions. (COs 6, 7)
12. Explain the risks and benefits of treatment to the patient and their family. (CO 6)
Submit the assignment as a double-spaced Word document. Formatting: Document should be in APA format.
Include a title page in APA Style.
Double space the document.
Include a reference page in APA Style if references were cited.
Achievement of Program Outcomes
1. The reflection identifies which program outcome the student will discuss.
2. The reflection provides two (2) or more specific examples of how the course prepared the student to meet the selected outcome.
(Two critical elements)