Hofstede’s “Country Comparison Tool” With this exercise, I wanted to provide you
Hofstede’s “Country Comparison Tool”
With this exercise, I wanted to provide you with one more chance to criticize popular research in the field of intercultural communication in terms of how national cultures are generalized and discussed.
1. Please follow the link to the above website and explore the country comparison tool (let me know if you have any problems getting access to the tool or finding it on the website)
2. Type at least 2 countries that are familiar to you in to the toolbar and then click on “read more about chosen countries”
3. How do you agree with the values assessment of these countries? What is accurate about this data from your point of view and why?
4. How do you disagree with the values assessment of these countries? What is inaccurate about this data from your point of view and why?
(You should recognize some of theses values patterns from your textbook readings and the previous tasks!)
– This country comparison tool may play in to some of your critiques of the Robert Kohls “American” Values from the previous task.
– Keep in mind that generalizations based on established research about cultural groups can still only be made as very flexible “best first guesses” and nothing more.
– We MUST keep in mind that groups are made up of individuals and that individual variation has to be accounted for.
I will attach the book for the class, you might not need it but incase you do, we are working on chapter 3.
Thank you for your help.