Obesity and Schools
Scenario 4. Obesity and Schools
You are a member of the school board for an inner city middle school. You’ve heard your daughter and other girls talking about how obese some of the students are getting. The school barely offers gym classes and everywhere you look there are vending machines. You want to make an impact, but you don’t know where to start. You want to gather evidence about the cost and efficacy of other programs in order to prepare for a meeting with the principal and superintendent. Your goal is to implement a similar program in your own school district. You have unlimited funding and resources. What is your approach?
Background and Introduction
General introduction and description of the public health topic
Include relevant statistics
Include a description of the target population
Overview of proposed public health program
Description of selected competencies
1. Introduction to the Public Health ProblemIncludes: General introduction and description of the public health topic Include a description of the target population.
2. Relevant Statistics Includes: Recent statistics demonstrating importance of addressing public health issue
3. Target Population Includes: Description of target audience. Includes relevant statistics outlining prevalence or incidence of public health issue among target population’
4. Overview of Proposed Program Includes: Program Overview, Describe the goals of your proposed program, Description of the program components, Implementation Setting- Describe the setting in which your program will be implemented.
5. Selection of Competencies, Includes the 4 competencies that you have selected for your ILE program plan. C7: Assess population needs, assets and capacities that affect communities’ health C8: Apply awareness of cultural values and practices to the design or implementation of public health policies or programs
C9: Design a population-based policy, program, project or intervention
C10: Explain basic principles and tools of budget and resource management
6. Theoretical Framework, Brief description of the public health theory that will guide the development of your program plan.