Questioning “American” Values?Questioning “American” Values? Please read through
Questioning “American” Values?Questioning “American” Values?
Please read through the attached document written by interculturalist Robert Kohls back in 1984.
We have discussed a lot already in class about how mindful and flexible one must be when discussing cultural categorizations, even when working with researched patterns.
With this in mind, I would like you to discuss, critique, and criticize this article.
Some things to think about:
1. Do you agree or disagree with Robert Kohls on how he assesses American Values? Why?
2. Are there any American identities that are left out of Kohl’s assessment?
3. Do you think what he has written has changed over time? How?
4. Do you think there should be caution in characterizing a whole entire cultural group in one way, like Kohls does?
5. How can we do better when writing and researching cultures?
Thank you for your help.