Research and summarize another current article or video on whistleblowers and give us your thoughts.
Using this dropbox you have an option to record a video OR to write a research paper for the Weekly assignment. AT LEAST ONE of your weekly assignment options must be a video and AT LEAST ONE must be a written essay.
If you choose the video option, please watch the YouTube video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyIejJVyn4&feature=youtu.be for instructions. Please note that the video option also requires an accompanying Power Point presentation that you upload with your video. The video itself should be between 4 and 5 minutes. If you require more time, you will need to create a YouTube video and provide the link to your instructor.
The essay option requires a minimum of 800 words and no more than 1000 words of content. Include APA standards for style, citations, references, and format. Be sure to include a title page with your name and the name of the essay. Please refer to our APA Manual or visit the Purdue Owl website at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/ for assistance with APA formatting and style guidelines.
Whether you choose the video option or the essay option, you must use at least four (4) sources from professional websites or scholarly journals. Some examples include www.sans.org, www.wired.com, www.cert.org, and www.nsa.gov. You may not use Wikipedia, ask.com, or other related dictionary sites. All sources must be cited within the text or mentioned within the video presentation according to APA guidelines and must appear at the end of your essay on a separate Reference List page or on the last page of your Power Point presentation.
Answer ONE of the analysis options below.
Option 1: WikiLeaks and/or Whistleblowers
Research the 2-part set of videos where Steve Croft interviews Assange in 2011 at the Ecuadorian Embassy. Here are the links:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzC9invn4Ko
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gKmBgc_4ko
Summarize the article/video and issues.
1. Do you feel that the government should prosecute Julian Assange under the Espionage Act? Or, do you feel that the public has a right to know and that we need people like Julian Assange to reveal government secrets?
2. Do you agree with the practice of prosecuting whistleblowers? Why or why not?
3. Research and summarize another current article or video on whistleblowers and give us your thoughts.
4. Should the Whistle Blower Protection Act apply to Julian Assange or Edward Snowden? Analyze the reasons why the Whistle Blower Protection Act should or should not apply to these individuals.
Option2: Software Piracy
Review the BSA Software Piracy Report. (attached)
1. Summarize the main points.
2. Pick a specific country and research a recent article about software piracy in that country. Summarize the key points and analyze why piracy is so prevalent there, and why it is difficult to stop.
3. Analyze the methods software firms like Microsoft should take (or are currently taking) to control software piracy in other countries? (Review technical, legal, cultural methods).
Option 3: Web Censoring Methods
1. Analyze the technical methods governments use to censor (such as censorware) and filter Web sites.
2. Pick 2 different countries and analyze the government’s success with web censoring. Why or why is it not successful?
3. Do you personally feel governments should place controls on their citizen’s use of certain Web sites? Why or why not?
Options 4: International Cybercrime
1. Research a recent article on international cybercrime (such as Eastern European Net gangs blackmailing sites, or International Nigerian 411 scams, etc). Summarize the main points of the article.
2. Have countries been able to put a dent in this type of international cybercrime, or is it out-of-control?
3. Why is it difficult to control?
4. If you were a security manager, what are some of the technical and legal methods you could use to mitigate this type of crime?